A comprehensive plan is a written document that provides a “blueprint” for growth and development of all land within the prescribed area, such as a Town or County. Comprehensive plans are required by Florida Statutes to be written for every city and county in Florida. Each plan is divided into chapters, known as “elements” which are subject areas such as land use, traffic circulation, housing, solid waste, drainage, sanitary sewer, recreation, aquifer recharge and more. All development occurring within the Town is required by state and local law to be compatible with the adopted comprehensive plan.
2020 Election Update Information
Mayor Jim O’Brien, as well as Council Members Chris Sapp and Andy Williams were unopposed. Therefore, there will be no municipal election in 2020.
If you are interested in running as a candidate, please check back at a later date for the link you may use to download the information or contact Dorothy Burkhalter (Town Clerk) at 407-876-2563 x 5323.
Please be advised that it takes some time to verify signatures through the Orange County Supervisor of Election’s Office.
Reminders & Deadlines
- Candidate Qualifying for 2021 TBA
- Candidate Qualifying for 2021 TBA
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must have lived in town limits for past 12 months
- Must obtain & verify signatures prior to deadline
Your local voting precinct will be at 520 Main Street, inside of historical Town Hall.
As a reminder, political and election campaign signs not exceeding four square feet in area may be displayed by an owner or tenant on their property without a permit.
If you have questions or see anyone violating the Town’s sign ordinance, please call 407-876-2563 ext 5330.
The Mayor is elected by the Town’s voters to a two-year term. Mayor O’Brien is currently on his first term for the Town of Windermere.
His responsibilities include:
- Enforcing the provisions of the Charter, ordinances, and all
applicable general laws
- Making recommendations to the Town Council on matters of
- Attending meetings of the Town Council and taking part in discussions
- Chairs all of the Town Council Meetings and Workshops
Mayor Jim O’Brien
315 Butler Street Windermere, FL 34786
The Town’s Codes and Ordinances can now be accessed via online through Municode.
To ensure that the code is current to your specific issue, please confirm with the Town Clerk if there have been any changes to the codes prior to posting dates.
This year’s budget mission was to preserve the level of service and quality of life that the Town residents and our customers are accustomed all while maintaining the Town’s financial viability. Town Staff and Councilwoman Rose were able to achieve that mission with conservative estimates of revenue, controlling expenditures, streamlining services, department reorganization, and better planning.
- Some of the budget highlights that will be presented are as follows:
- Maintaining the current millage rate at 3.7896 which is below the roll back rate.
- Increase Reserves to 18-20%. Currently 9%
- Amend Health Care program for the Employees to mirror both private and public health care programs.
- Reorganization of Public Works Department to allow for better service and better planning.
- Fleet Replacement Program for both Public Works and Police Department.
- Capital Enhancement projects for both Public Facilities and Streets/Roads.
- Creation of Special Magistrate for Code Enforcement Hearings.
Town of Windermere’s Fiscal year is from October 1-September 30
Council Member Loren “Andy” Williams
903 Rosser Road Windermere, FL 34786
Council Member Loren Williams is on his first term for the Town of Windermere. He is the Council Liaison for: Budget & Finance and the Historic Preservation Board.
Council Member Chris Sapp
1205 Main Street Windermere, FL 34786
Council Member Chris Sapp is on his first term for the Town of Windermere. He is Council Liaison for: Long Range Planning Committee, Streets and Roads, and the Windermere Tree Board. Council Member Sapp is also the West Orange Chamber alternate for Windermere.
Council Member Liz Andert
60 Oakdale Street Windermere, FL 34786
Council Member Liz Andert is on her first term for the Town of Windermere. She is Council Liaison for: Downtown Business Committee, Food Truck/Farmers Market Selection Committee, Butler Chain of Lakes Advisory Committee, and the Holiday Social Committee.
Council Member Bill Martini
627 Ridgewood Drive Windermere, FL 34786
Council Member Bill Martini is on his first term for the Town of Windermere. He is Council Liaison for: Development Review Board, and the Windermere Police Department. Council Member Martini is also the MetroPlan alternate for Windermere.
Council Member Bob McKinley
536 Magnolia Street Windermere, FL 34786
Council Member Bob McKinley is on his third term for the Town of Windermere. He is Council Liaison for: Elder Affairs Committee, Parks and Recreation, and Administration. Council Member McKinley is also Mayor Pro Tem.