The City was founded on May 5, 1915, when 110 acres of land situated between James Avenue on the north, Lamar Avenue to the south, Main Street to the west, and 5th Street to the east, were auctioned off and incorporated under the council-manager form of government.
Windermere's logo is based on that of the Town of Windermere, England
The top left quarter shows three Windermere class yachts, which were quite famous at one time.
The top right quarter is symbolic of an ancient gate denoting Windermere as the gateway to the Lake District.
The bottom left quarter represents the flag of Saint George, the Patron Saint of England.
The bottom right quarter represents three char, a rare and delicious species of trout, which are caught in Lake Windermere at a depth of at least 90 feet using gold or gold-plated lures.